Adding value through clear communication
‘Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.’ Albert Einstein
I help businesses and brands who are tired of seeing the potential of their products compromised by poor user instructions or documentation; fed up with the amount of time and valuable resources consumed by fielding support queries; or simply frustrated that their message isn’t reaching their market.
Experienced technical writer
A skilled and experienced technical writer, I offer a detailed and methodical approach with the creative ability to deliver compelling communications that enhance customer satisfaction, build brand value and increase product revenue.
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into simple, accessible content
- Experience in creating modern doc sites for user guidance and support
- Experience in ServiceNow knowledge application
- Proven working experience in technical writing of software documentation
- Excellent people skills, particularly in extracting knowledge from technical and process experts
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and deliver to deadlines, co-ordinating with distributed teams
- A positive and proactive approach to service delivery and getting things done
Key technical skills
Applications and platforms
- ServiceNow Knowledge
- Sphinx, reStructured text, Markdown, basic Unix command line, HTML, XML, CSS, Jekyll
- Github, Atom, Postman, Curl, Terminal, GDocs
- WordPress and other content management systems
- Microsoft Office suite, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, Affinity Photo & Designer
- Knowledge of topic based structured authoring, Plain English, Simplified English
- Design and production of digital artwork for print
Channels and formats
- Development of web-based documentation and support sites, including information architecture and content management
- Creation of user guides, knowledge articles, UI & UX text, context sensitive help, FAQs, training material, presentations, video scripts
- White papers, case studies, product guides, process guides, magazine articles, books
- Corporate and product marketing, RFPs and RFIs, award entries, flyers, brochures and other sales collateral
Bridge the gap
Make it as easy as possible for customers, and potential customers, to use your products.
Good technical writing can bridge the gap between your company and the people who use your products, fostering customer loyalty and word-of-mouth recommendation.
Please contact me for more information or to discuss a project:
Tel: +44 (0)7736 120951
E: Click here to email me
“Perhaps one of the most useful talents in a technical writer is adaptability. During our contract Westrow was required to not only learn the systems and business processes of our mutual client but also how to author using an entirely new methodology. I was very favorably impressed by both the speed and the enthusiasm with which he grasped these new tools and ideas.
I can recommend Westrow without reservation for any standard technical writing project. I also endorse him wholeheartedly for any internationalization, simplified English, or controlled authoring project. He is a pleasure to work with and a willing contributor to any effort.”
Karen Toast Conger, Documentation Consultant, Toastworks.org
For some examples of my technical writing work please see technical writing examples.